I always want my hair to looks it's best, but as a busy mom, I often don't have time to make it look perfect. Heck, I usually don't even have time to wash my hair, let alone style it! Since I seem to get a lot of hair questions, I thought I would put together some of my favorite tips for having pretty, healthy hair as a busy mom! (Plus I'm giving away some Paypal cash...so keep reading!)
1. Dirty hair is the new black. Wash your hair as infrequently as possible. Yep, I said it. Dirty hair is the way to go as a busy mom. In order to make this look work for you, you have to train your hair to go without washing. Before kids, I washed my hair every other day. On day two my hair was greasy and gross so I always washed it. Then, when I got pregnant with Hudson, I started stretching it out to every three days. And now that I have two kids it's more like I wash it once every 5 days! But this takes time. Start slow by adding just one day. After two weeks try adding in another day. Your hair will adjust to less washings over time and it will actually be healthier! This tip saves me SO much time!
2. Rinse with apple cider vinegar. I know it sounds strange, but apple cider vinegar is the best (and cheapest) way to clean out all the gunk that can build up in your hair. I typically fill an old water bottle with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and the rest of it warm water. After shampooing my hair I'll pour the mixture over my head and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then rinse it out. Be careful not to get it in your eyes. My hair feels so clean and healthy after doing this! I usually do this once or twice a month.
3. Cut down on blow drying time. Who has time to waste blow drying their hair? My hair is crazy thick and it could take me 20 minutes to dry it. No thanks! I usually let my hair air dry for a hour and then blow dry it smooth using these tips.
4. Invest in a good dry shampoo. Remember how I said I only wash my hair every 5 days or so? Well, sometimes it's more like every 7 days....and there is no way I would be able to do that without an amazing dry shampoo.
5. Fight the Frizz. In the humid summer months my hair can get frizzy fast....so it's important to use some products to keep that frizz at bay. Some of my favorite products can be found here.
I think my hair is probably my most favorite feature. Sure, I hated it growing up. I was the only redhead in a sea of blue-eyed blondes and I wanted so desperately to fit in and not stand out. Isn't that just silly? I wish I could go back in time and tell my little 6 year old self to love her hair. Because I sure do love it now!
6. Have a rotation that works for you. I have a typical routine with my hair. The first day it's clean I curl it with a curling iron and set it with hair spray. I try to leave it down and not mess with it too much the first day so the curls stay intact. On day two, I touch up the curls with the curling iron. On day three, I usually brush through the curls with my fingers for a softer look. On day four, I usually style it in a low or high pony tail, depending on my mood. Which brings me to day 5.....
7. Love the top not. Need I say more? Some days you just have to throw your hair up in a top not or bun and call it good. I rock this looks frequently these days...so much so that I wore my hair down yesterday and Hudson asked me "why you hair like that mama?". Haha.
8. Make time for a haircut! This one is tough, but it's so important. As a new mom I'm constantly shedding hair thanks to all those fabulous hormones! My stylist knows this and knows just how to cut my hair so that it still works even though I'm shedding like a dog.
9. Cut yourself some slack. Your hair doesn't always have to be perfect. Some days it looks a hot mess. But what matters most is that you make time to take care of yourself...and that you learn to love your new "mom" hair.
As my gift to you I'm giving one lucky mom $25 in Paypal cash to spend on your favorite hair product...or however you want! Did you know that eBay has some great informative guides that help you quickly access eBay to get your shop on? To enter: Visit these eBay guides below
and let me know in the comments the title of the guide that was most helpful to you. Giveaway runs until 8:00 a.m. EST on September 17th. I'll randomly select a winner from the comments. Full giveaway rules here. Good luck!